- Strong prescription pain medicines that contain an opioid (narcotic) that is used to manage pain severe enough to require an opioid analgesic, when other pain treatments such as non-opioid pain medicines do not treat your pain well enough or you cannot tolerate them.
- Opioid pain medicines can put you at risk for overdose and death. Even if you take your dose correctly as prescribed you are at risk for opioid addiction, abuse, and misuse that can lead to death.
The possible side effects of the Tablets
- abdominal pain
Call your healthcare provider if you have any of these symptoms and they are severe.
Get emergency medical help if you have:
- Trouble breathing,
- shortness of breath,
- fast heartbeat,
- chest pain,
- swelling of your face, tongue, or throat,
- extreme drowsiness,
- light-headedness when changing positions,
- feeling faint,
- high body temperature,
- trouble walking,
- stiff muscles, or
- mental changes such as confusion.
DILAUDID Tablets are supplied in 2 mg, 4 mg, and 8 mg tablets for oral administration. The tablet strengths describe the amount of hydromorphone hydrochloride in each tablet.
DILAUDID Oral Solution is supplied as 5mg/5 mL (1 mg/mL) viscous liquid.
The chemical name is 4,5α-epoxy-3-hydroxy-17-methylmorphinan-6-one hydrochloride. The molecular weight is 321.80. Its molecular formula is C17H19NO3·HCl, and it has the following chemical structure:
Hydromorphone hydrochloride is a white or almost white crystalline powder that is freely soluble in water, very slightly soluble in ethanol (96%), and practically insoluble in methylene chloride.
The 2 mg, 4 mg, and 8 mg tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: lactose anhydrous and magnesium stearate. DILAUDID Tablets may also contain traces of sodium metabisulfite.
The 2 mg tablets also contain D&C red #30 Lake dye, and D&C yellow #10 lake dye.
The 4 mg tablets also contain D&C yellow #10 lake dye.
Each 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of DILAUDID Oral Solution contains 5 mg of hydromorphone hydrochloride. The inactive ingredients are purified water, methylparaben, propylparaben, sucrose, and glycerin. DILAUDID Oral Solution may contain traces of sodium metabisulfite